Thursday, December 13, 2007

Smile for Santa!


Once again, we have a classic Santa photo. I don't know why I expect anything less...all year I tell my kids not to talk to strangers, not to sit on strange men's laps, etc. And then December rolls around, and I attempt to plop them right onto a perfect stranger's lap and make them smile and talk!

Jack had been eagerly anticipating seeing Santa for about a week. Our Ward Christmas party rolled around, and he began to experience cold feet. He copes with fear or anxiety by falling asleep - he can literally force himself to sleep. So, he sees Santa walk in the room, and immediately says "I'm tired. I want to sleep in the stroller." I naively thought that once we got up there, he'd jump right up and tell Santa everything he wanted.

We waited in line, and as were were almost at the front, I look down, and sure enough, Jack is fast asleep. At first, I was irritated - after all, this is our traditional December calendar picture. Then I thought, "Well, I'll just park the stroller between Mrs. & Mr. Clause, no big deal. Grant and Olivia will smile..." So we get up to our turn, Olivia plops down with a giant grin and I attempted to put Grant on Santa's lap. Grant wanted absolutely nothing to do with him! He screamed LOUDLY, arched his back and wailed for me with his arms out. We quickly snapped a photo, then I rescued Santa...and years from now, I'll look back and laugh at myself for thinking this motherhood thing would ever be easy.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm glad you commented on my blog because I've been thinking about you lately and wondering what I did with your blog address--guess it would not have been that hard to figure out! It was fun to catch up on you guys--your trip to Mexico looks HEAVENLY!!! I am so jealous. You are so cute for going to Hannah Montana. And the Santa picture is hilarious--I think those kind are the best!

Laura said...

I think I'll take the kids to have pictures with Santa tomorrow. I'm anticipating having more trouble with William than Emily, but we'll see! I just got an email from Brenda (Koby) Karr with a bunch of Santa pictures just like yours, I'll have to forward....hilarious!