Sunday, September 23, 2007

What's a Pig in a Blanket?


This was my reaction when Olivia's teacher asked if I'd bring them in for snack on Friday, concluding their "Pig Unit" in Language Arts. I set about polling friends, and had mixed responses. Either breakfast sausages, wrapped in a pancake and dipped in syrup, OR a cocktail weenie wrapped and baked in a crescent roll. I'm not a big fan of sausages or hot dogs, so these were not menu items I was familiar with!


Seeing as I had to make enough for 19 kids, plus teacher, I opted for the crescent roll variety. Early Friday morning, I was up and in the kitchen, wrapping 40 little weenies in their blankets. Not exactly my number one idea of what to do when I first wake up...but that's another story!


I baked them and delivered them hot from the oven to school, just in time for snack recess. They smelled okay, but I was pleasantly surprised to bite into one and find it was actually quite tasty!


Payoff came after school, when Olivia brought home a note signed by all her classmates and her teacher, which read: "Mrs. Whitaker- Thanks for the delicious Pigs (picture of pigs) in a blanket. We made Pigs (again, a graphic) of ourselves!"

I was the cool mom of the day, which can go a long way in the eyes of an 8-year old...

No comments: