Friday, June 14, 2013

Moving on

Nearly nine years ago, my little girl started kindergarten at Sunol Glen. She was a joyful, beautiful, bubbly little girl, and we couldn't believe that she was old enough to start school!


As we looked at the kids in the older grades run around that first day, they seemed gigantic, and we couldn't even begin to imagine how Olivia would be at the end of kindergarten, let alone 8th grade.

Somehow, we blinked, and the day arrived. Today is Olivia's last day at Sunol Glen.



She has grown into a joyful, beautiful, and bubbly young woman. She has had teachers who have shaped her into who she is today and helped her learn and grow. She has had friends who have brightened her life with their laughter and love.



Now her class is moving on. They're off to high school, and instead of a class of 26, she'll be in a class of 500+. Only a handful of her classmates are going to the same high school, and it is hard to say goodbye to those "BFFs" that have made her days so much fun.

For five of the nine years, she's had her brothers at the same school with her. They hug when they see each other during the day, and Olivia is always looking out for them. It makes me so sad to think they won't all be together from here on out.

 


Tomorrow night is her 8th grade promotion. It's a big deal at such a small school...complete with a picture slide show, speeches from all the kids, speeches from local dignitaries, etc. I would like to think I'll maintain my composure through it all, but really...who am I kidding?

In spite of the tears that keep falling, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the 9 years she has spent at this school. It has been amazing, and I couldn't have asked for more.


2 comments:

Stefanie said...

Oh Alyson! This post makes me cry because I am at the beginning of this journey with my Mallory and I know that it will fly by in the blink of an eye. It makes me sad that our kids grow up so fast. I am trying to enjoy each and every day I have with them as they are small. Olivia is an amazing young woman. She has grown up so quickly, but she is going to do such amazing things with her life. Congratulations to her on her achievements and accomplishments.

Make sure you have a whole box of tissues in your purse! =o)

Corndog Queen said...

Alyson, I will have an extra box of kleenex with me at graduation. I don't even have a kid graduating yet, but I know that it will be very moving. Plus, like you, I am a softie.