Monday, December 31, 2012

Perspective

Two days after Christmas, I accompanied some of the youth from church into San Francisco to volunteer at St. Anthony's for the day. Located in the heart of the Tenderloin District, St. Anthony's provides food, clothing, and more to some of the poorest residents of the city. It was an amazing experience for all of us.



As a bit of trivia, St. Anthony's is the center featured in the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" with Will Smith. This center was what helped Chris Gardner get on his feet and make a life for he and his son.



Some of the kids worked in the dining hall, preparing and serving food to the homeless lined up outside.

Some of the kids went to the Senior Center and played games with the senior citizens, most of whom couldn't speak a word of English.

I accompanied the youngest youth to the clothing distribution center, where we matched and sorted socks to be passed out to those coming to the distribution center for clothing.

It was a humbling experience. Here we were, just two days after Christmas, where we'd opened dozens of presents (including numerous new pairs of socks), and we were faced with the fact that there are people who don't even have a single pair of socks to their name. Some of the most basic necessities of life . . . those things that we take completely for granted.

After we finished up in the distribution center, we all gathered back together and ate lunch in the dining room with the "guests". Another humbling experience . . . sitting at a table eating lentils and rice with people who wouldn't eat another meal that day. A couple of the people at our table went back for seconds and thirds, and scooped most of the food on their trays into containers or baggies to save for later.

After lunch, we heard the life story of a recovering addict, who shared his story of drug and alcohol addiction. You could have heard a pin drop in the room. He shared his experience of hitting rock bottom this past summer, and falling to his knees in prayer. He said that he felt like he was getting a warm hug, and feeling a love greater than he'd ever felt before. . . coming from God. It was an incredible story, and one that stuck with all of us.

I came home and spent the evening in deep reflection. On the one hand, I felt so incredibly grateful for the many blessings in my life—a warm house, clean socks, good food, a family to love me. On the other hand, I was filled with such incredible sadness that there are so many who, for whatever reason, have found themselves without these basic necessities of life. I was thankful that Olivia got to experience the stark contrast from her life as well.

I hope this is something that we continue to do as the years go on. It is a good reminder of the importance of making good choices everyday, as well as a lesson in compassion and empathy for those less fortunate.

All throughout the day, the scripture from Matthew repeated in my head "When ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Of all the gifts I could have given, or received this holiday season, this was perhaps the greatest.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This is probably my favorite post I've read lately. I hope I can help my kids (and myself) have these experiences. I still remember the charitable, out of comfort things I did as a child/teenager.