Friday, June 8, 2012

And so it goes . . .

Today was the last day of school. I now have a 1st grader, a 4th grader, and an 8th grader! How is it possible???

Grant had a "graduation" ceremony on Tuesday. The minute I saw him in his little graduation cap, I lost it. (Big surprise, I know.).

He walked down the aisle with his first grade buddy, to the song "Let them be little" by Billy Dean. The opening line of the song says "I remember when you could fit in the palm of my hand . . ." That did it. The floodgates opened. How did my baby get so big?

Don't know why I bothered with makeup that day. I cried it all off.

When it came to picking playmates, Grant prefers the 1st grade girls to the kindergarten boys. 
These are three of his favorites. I'm pretty sure the feelings are mutual.

He's had a wonderful teacher who has loved him to death, while still pushing him and keeping him in line and on track. I'm so excited he'll get to be in her class again next year!



Today we had to bid farewell to Jack's teacher. He's had her for two years in a row, and she's been amazing. She has pushed and motivated Jack, and he has blossomed under her loving care. I never thought I'd get emotionally attached to my kids' teachers. I think moving on is harder on me than on him!



Olivia finished the year with a 4.0. She worked hard, and is learning how to manage her time and stay on task with her school work. I am so proud of her. She is mature beyond her years in so many ways, and is just growing up too darn fast!

Another year, and she'll be taller than her math/science teacher!

I waited until the last minute to come up with gifts for the kids' teachers. Yesterday, I came up with this:

A plant for their yard (2 of the teachers are new homeowners), 
with a card that says "Thank you for helping me GROW!"

 A custom-wrapped candy bar

 A pencil-shaped card (made using my new favorite toy...the Silhouette Cameo)

I added a gift card for each teacher to their favorite restaurant and called it a day. 

Olivia is on her way to the 8th grade graduation dance tonight. Seventh graders get to attend the dance, to celebrate with the graduates. She looks grown up and beautiful.


How did she get so big? We have one more year until high school. And only 5 more years with her living at home. That's just not long enough!

After school, we had a bunch of friends over for a swim party to celebrate the start of summer. All was going perfectly, until Grant tripped on the brick wall lining the back of the pool and fell, catching his little toe on the way down.



He fractured and hyperextended his pinkie toe, and we're waiting to see an orthopedist early next week to see if it needs to be splinted, casted, or surgically set. Seriously? We started off his kindergarten year with a broken bone. Guess he wanted to end it on a similar note.

Let the summer fun begin!

6 comments:

Holly said...

How fun they are all getting so big! Why can't they stay little??

Poor Grant - he knows how to do things big!!

Stefanie said...

This post makes me tear up (shocker .. i know!) because Mallory just got done with her Foundations Program and now is moving onto Kindergarten and I look at Olivia and how grown up she is and how fast time flies by and it scares me!! (biggest run on sentence ever .. but you get my point!) I just can't believe how fast these kids grow up. I CAN believe that Grant broke his toe though .. and I can also believe that Jack is amazing and Olivia got a 4.0!! Woo-HOO!!! She IS amazing! What a gorgeous girl she has grown up to be - so talented and smart and just so well-rounded. Love all your kids. Miss you!! Hope you guys have a fantastic summer!

Ashley said...

I love that you bawled--I came THIS close to losing it at Kindergarten orientation. How come the kids have the same teachers two years in a row? I thought your gifts were so cute--and then you put my gifts to shame by saying those were in addition to gift cards! And props to Olivia! She must have good genes!

Alyson said...

Ashley - I cried at kindergarten orientation last year, so you're not alone there! To answer your question about the 2 year teachers...Our kids school has a multi-age classroom program for grades K-3. We have three K/1 combo classes, and three 2/3 combo classes. The theory is that by rolling up with the same teacher, students gain roughly a month of education time by not having to get to know a new teacher (and vice versa). It also allows for great mentoring and leveling based on academic level and capabilities, not just grade level standards. It's been a fantastic program for both boys...I am a strong supporter of it! Wish you still lived over on this side of the Bay, I'd recruit you, and Charlie could be in Grant's class next year :)

Christy said...

Hey hey hey! You got a silhouette cameo too!!! Can't wait to see what you make with it!! Keep posting pics of your creations!

brooke said...

Alyson,

I am intrigued with this foot zoning business. Will you email me at brookeharkness at msn.com and give me the scoop? Thanks!!