Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Searching for a muse . . .

I feel like I've had a months-long case of writer's block. I have great aspirations of penning the next great American Novel, have lists of ideas (both on paper and in my head), and even titles for the books picked out. But when I sit down to actually put my thoughts in writing, nothing comes out. It's like I draw a giant blank, and all that comes to mind are thoughts of what I should make for dinner, or that I need to start the laundry, or the permission slip I forgot to sign for one of the kids. Not very productive "writing" time, to say the least!

My mom is coming to town tomorrow for two weeks of intense writing on the book project we started last year. Stay tuned on that one. While this project isn't necessarily destined for Oprah's Book Club, I have great hopes that through this process, I will be able to unleash the more creative side of my brain for the other projects that creep into my unconscious, begging to be set free.

Until that time comes, maybe I should look for a pair of shoes . . .

2 comments:

The DeVito's said...

Ha! I do the same thing when I'm supposed to be working and procrastinate whatever it is I can't get motivated to do! Hopefully your time with your mom will start the juices flowing and you won't be able to stop when she leaves. :)

Christy said...

tee hee hee! One of my friends did her Master's thesis on how people get their creativity on. Back then I had so few distractions, all it took to get my creative juices flowing was to tie my hair back in my special I'm-on-the-studio knot, put on some good tunes and I was ready. Good luck my friend!