Sunday, September 27, 2009

Birthday Blues...and smiles

Today was my birthday. I woke up grumpy. I didn't want to face the fact I was getting older.

Steve's mom, Joyce, has been here all week. She made a delicious birthday breakfast. We then took a family bike ride down to the park to play. As we were riding, I was at the back of our little pack. As I watched them ride ahead of me, I was overcome with emotion, and love, for this family of mine.

We had a fun shopping excursion this afternoon. I picked out my own birthday gifts—a new gym wardrobe, some new make-up, and my first perfume in nearly 13 years. I chose a Versace, which I've been sniffing and loving all afternoon.

My mom called me this afternoon to wish me happy birthday. She gushed about how happy she was to be my mom, what a joy it was to have me as a daughter, then said "I just can't believe you're 35!"

There was a moment of silence, after which I replied "Well, that's good. Because I'm actually 37."

Life is good. I am happy. And while I don't necessarily love getting older, I love my life, and those in it. And that is reason to celebrate.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

That's so funny about your mom thinking you are 35. That sounds like my mom. As disheartening as getting older is, I always like birthdays for the excuse to get presents and do something fun. Your presents sound fantastic, and this post was really sweet about your family.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I'm sorry I didn't call you yesterday! It sounds like it was a better day than you thought it would be. I love that your mom didn't know how old you were. My mom does the same thing with all of her kids.

The DeVito's said...

Happy Birthday! You got great presents! you do 37 well!

Laura said...

Hey, I totally missed your birthday and I even had it out on my calendar.....SORRY! It sounds like it was a good day for you overall. I'm starting to get that way with my siblings as we all get older...maybe it's just the getting older thing. Just know that I think you are fabulous!

Jenny said...

I hope you had a great birthday! I don't blame your mom, I even forget how old I am now that I'm over 30 - it just seems to all blend together! I've been thinking about you - I got a sprouter at a garage sale last weekend and have been excited to use it. Ever since you had that one in La Laguna I've wanted to try it! :)

joyce Whitaker said...

Alyson,
Thirty-Seven is wonderful and so are you.

emily, etc, etc said...

I love that story about your mom - I needed a good laugh.

Happy Birthday - I hope it turned out great.