Friday, November 2, 2007

Olivia's first concert


Last night, Olivia and I had the rare privilege of attending a real concert together! Hannah Montana (a.k.a. Mylie Cyrus) was performing live at the Oakland Arena, with opening act by The Jonas Brothers. We bought her tickets for her birthday back in August...and it was a sold out show.

I definitely felt old...the fan base for these acts is primarily 15 and under. I was looking around at the other moms, accompanying their daughters (and a few sons) and it was like we were part of this club, the "I'm here because I love my child" club. And yet, strangely enough, I found myself bopping up and down to the beat, and screaming along with everyone else. My ears will be ringing for days...!

The end of the concert came, and Olivia really wanted a concert T-shirt. The line was about 150 people long. I suggested buying one online at the tour website, but she really wanted one before we left. So, being the devoted, patient mother that I am (or at least would like to be), we proceeded to wait in line for 1 HOUR for an overpriced t-shirt which Olivia absolutely loves. It was worth the wait.


At the end of the show, when Olivia was telling me how much she loved it and thanking me profusely, I realized how precious this time really is. A few years from now, she won't want to hang out with me, whether it's running errands or going to a concert. I took so many pictures, so I can record the moment forever in my memory. And if my hearing never returns to normal, it will still be worth it!

1 comment:

Laura said...

How fun! Sat night, I took Emily and my mom to Disney's Princesses on Ice (for her birthday the end of this month) and it was a great time to spend just with "the girls".